About Me

My photo
At the moment I am caring full time for a family member and when the time comes I will be selling up and living on a narrowboat.I enjoy reading,especially about those living on narrowboats and their daily lives.The tug Nb Resolute in the above picture is NOT mine but is owned by Dave Moore and is something I would aspire to own one day although I am going to look at many boats before I make a decision on the style and interior.Tugs are looking good at the moment but have yet to look around one. My interest in narrowboats started some 47 years ago. As a lad I cycled from Luton to bridge 111 on the G.U.by the Globe to fish and watch the Morton and Clayton boats go by,full of coal with a family on board and always wondered how they kept their balance on the planks that ran above the coal and why the the dogs didnt jump in the canal.That fascination has stayed with me so when I am able I will be there on my narrowboat joining in the great community of boat owners. Find me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/brassiclint or listen to my music site.Use earphones or earplugs depending on your musical taste :) http://blip.fm/Dave_Winter

Twitter

Sunday, 1 July 2012

My Stained Glass Window

Many years ago I had an interest in stained glass and went to night school to learn how to make windows and general stained glass pieces. Pictures can never do justice to the vibrant colour which glass gives as you can never get the right position for the light to shine in the right direction for it to show it's vibrant colour to the best advantage. Anyway this is the very first attempt I had at making a window.




I mounted it in one of our front window frames and was in place for many years before the double glazing was fitted, this brought to an end my idea of supplying windows as the public found it was too expensive to have a triple glass construction with a stained glass inner.

I found it in the back of the shed and thought I would share it with you.

The white cross is the only thing you see at night when a car headlamp shines on it and looks spectacular.
Looking back at the design I would have done a few things differently but for a first attempt I was pleased with it.
It may come in handy to have this skill when I eventually get a narrowboat. 

6 comments:

  1. That is one beautiful stained glass window! That design looks elegant and pleasing to the eye. How did you do it? Looks like you have some skills in stained glass designing. And yes, I’m sure that it will come in handy someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandra,I'm glad you liked my window.The design was an adaptation of a window in a book I have see here... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Authentic-Nouveau-Stained-Pictorial-Archives/dp/0486243621/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1343682979&sr=8-8
    It was far too complex for me as a beginner to copy so I took the basic design and adapted it so that to my eye it looked out of the ordinary.I think on hindsight I would have changed the outer red segments to a different colour so that your eye had a better red focal point in the centre and a different support point for the two lower edge connections,but hey that's how we all learn by our mistakes.Thanks for your comment.Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Dave! Did you hang that window you designed? If that's my artwork I would be proud displaying it at home. It would be great to place this window in a location facing directly against the sun as you said its vibrant color would be its best advantage.

    Willene Fagen @RoofingandMoreINC.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Willene,
    Yes it was mounted in a window frame next to our front door. It was spectacular when a car headlight shone on it at night as well as being beautiful when the sun shone through it during the day.
    I had to remove it when I had double glazing fitted but I still have it in it's frame . I can't bring myself to sell it so keep it in the backyard shed. Thanks for the kind comment.
    Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh don't sell it! Stained glass is pretty cool, but the thing is, you'll eventually get tired of seeing it. But yours is an artwork, so you're right about not selling it. You should keep it, or maybe give it as a gift to someone dear to you.
    Merill @ LoveYourWindows.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. well done job by the blogger, this is really informative, i have also shared to others, your analysis is very good and you have written everything in detail.

    ReplyDelete