There are 300,000 fewer hedgehogs in Britain than a decade ago,farming practices and larger fields are reducing their natural habitat and although there is an increase in traffic the sightings of hedgehog casualties has been in decline, which suggests that their numbers have reduced dramatically.To help in the effort to preserve their numbers I have constructed a hedgehog house,see the picture below.
The entrance is 15" in length and leads to a nesting box about 2' square covered in pond liner then earth to keep out the damp.I have seen a hedgehog in the garden on the odd occasion so I hope it makes use of my effort.
Hello Dave,
ReplyDeleteI too, heard about this decline and, like you, decided to build a hedgehog house for them.
I'm afraid mine was only a modest affair and nothing like your very well constructed 'stately home'.
However, it attracted a few interested 'clients' and some have moved in.
I did a blog and posted up a video on YouTube.
http://monkey-organ.blogspot.com/2011/09/in-gloaming.html
You need lots of left-over cat food you see, to entice these hungry critters to set up home.
All the best....Bernard
Hi Bernard,
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you liked my 'stately home',unfortunately if I put out cat food around here all I would get is........cats.
Take care....Dave