After many years of being a carer for my old mum she had to be re-admitted to hospital as she had become weak due to her condition. I thought it was safe to leave her in the capable hands of the nursing staff at the hospital which I won't name at present but apparently I was wrong.
This is the notice above her bed in hospital.
Note the first aim..
TO INCREASE PATIENT SAFETY
Well I think they failed on that one don't you as this is the result of their failure.
Mum fell out of the hospital bed at 3:15am
Note! she was already blind in the left eye due to diabetes.
Bruising to her left elbow
Bruising to the centre of her left hand
Report written at the time of the accident by the nurse.
I don't think there is any excuse for allowing this to happen especially knowing that a person is frail and liable to be a danger to themselves.
Could it be to the lack of staff at night in this economic climate; I don't know but I'm thankful she was not badly hurt.
Oh your poor mum, surely they should have had the cot sides up? They were pretty strict about that with my mum's bed, but then she wasn't really in any state to be getting in and out of bed unaided anyway and with your mum being very weak it doesn't sound like she was either.
ReplyDeleteThe saving grace is no broken bones, especially hip, but of course that doesn't make this any more acceptable. I hope you get a proper apology from them. Hope also that your mum gets over this setback soon.
Regards, Aly